Small Scale Sawmill Training Program
Gain the highly in-demand skills to saw and grade lumber, July 11 – September 1, 2022.
This program will provide students with the training needed to safely operate portable sawmills and grade lumber and timber for the market. Participants will also receive First Aid Level 1 with a Transportation Endorsement, WHMIS, chainsaw operation, and learn how to operate a forklift and skid-steer.
Week 1: Introductions, orientation, safety tickets including first aid and chainsaw
Week 2: Lumber grading, provided by Council of Forest Industries
Week 3: Operation and maintenance of a Swing Mill, log selection (Right Log, Right Line), length increments, board feet calculation
Week 4: Operation and maintenance of a Band Mill, sharpening blades, log selection, fundamentals of drying lumber
Week 5: Chainsaw operation and maintenance, stumpage, cost of logs to lumber
Week 6: Construction fundamentals for building housing in community
Week 7&8: Sawing timber to take to market or build within community
All necessary equipment, including classroom materials and PPE will be provided. This program is offered in partnership WLFN, Full Time Ventures, and TRU. Funding is provided by Indigenous Youth Development Canada – ESDC.
For more information and to register, please contact:
Careers with our Community Partners
Lake Excavating Ltd.
Lake Excavating Ltd. is currently recruiting and hiring an estimated 6o seasonal employee positions for our mutual partnership contracts at Gibraltar Mine and Mount Polley Mine. Each project will provide full time work for an estimated 4-5 months completing fully in October or November.
- Survey Technicians
- Project Managers
- Grader Operators
- Excavator Operators
- Dozer Operators
- Off road Haul Truck Operators
- Scraper Operators
- Vibratory Compactors
- Fuel and Lube Technicians
- Skilled and General Labourers
- All positions will start immediately and over the next few weeks
- All interested applicants may send their resumes directly to my attention
- Transportation will be provided from our Williams Lake yard to the mine site and return
- Basic Operator training will be offered for Haul trucks, scrapers, and packers
Employment is subject to:
- Receipt of Class 5 Drivers License and clean Drivers Abstract
- Receipt of a negative 7-Panel Pre-Access Drug Screening and FIT Test
- Completion of Gibraltar’s and Polley’s Pre-Access Contractor Orientation
- Receipt of or completion of WHMIS 2015 Certification
- Participation in company orientation including Workhub and Sitedocs
For more information, and to apply, please visit www.lakeexcavating.com/employment/.