Empowering WLFN Members to succeed
Williams Lake First Nation Social Development Workers (BSDWs) administer Income Assistance to eligible T’exelc Nation members residing on-reserve. Need is determined by meeting applicable eligibility requirements designated by Indigenous Services Canada (ISC).
In addition to assisting with support assistance, the Social Development Department works closely with organizations such as First Nations Health Authority (FNHA), Knucwentwecw Society, Three Corners Health Services Society, as well as coordinating with internal WLFN stakeholders (including the Sugar Cane Health Station) to provide a holistic, culturally sensitive means to support Nation members through the implementation of programming, support services, and financial aid in times of need.
The Social Development Program provides a variety of services to promote community well-being, including:
- Administering the Income Assistance program to on-reserve individuals.
- Facilitating applications for Persons with Disabilities (PWD) and Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers (PPMB) designation.
- Liaising with the Ministry of Children and Families and Knucwentwecw Services Society to help on-reserve families obtain resources and support, as well as providing advocacy support for families involved in the child welfare system.
- Developing workshops, events, and educational material to reduce violence, promote healthy lifestyles, enhance employability, and support cultural healing/learning.
- Running the T’exelc Recreation department, which offers groups, outings, and social events for WLFN children and youth (including the After School Program, Youth Engagement Activities, and fundraising events, and field trips)
The goal of the T’exelc Social Development department is ultimately to support the safety and health of both families and individuals, while ensuring that every member’s basic needs are being met.
To inquire further about WLFN Social Development services and supports, please contact Kiera Dolighan, Senior Manager, Social Development.
Senior Manager, Social Development