The heatwave has hit, so let’s make sure to take precautions that allow us all to stay safe whilst enjoying the sun!
Here are few tips to prevent heat stress:
- Keep hydrated – it sounds obvious, but staying hydrated keeps the mind focused, and water is the very best fluid to keep hydrated. So encourage yourself and your family to take water breaks every hour.
- Dress for summer – Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing to reflect heat and sunlight.
- Avoid direct sunlight – Ensure that you wear a hat if you are outside in the sun.
- Take regular breaks in a cool, well-ventilated area.
- Use a high factor sunscreen of at least SPF15 on any exposed skin.
- If you need to do hard physical work, make sure to do this during the coolest parts of the day, before 11 a.m. and after 3 p.m.
- Know your personal risk factors such as medications and any pre-existing conditions.
- Check the signs and symptoms for yourself and family members.
Stay safe & keep your body cool!